Implemented by the UAE government in 2019 to bolster the country’s business and investment landscape, the golden visa allows qualified applicants to secure long-term residency without the need for a national sponsor. This enables the holder to plant their long-term goals in the UAE for investment, work and academic pursuits.
The visas are issued for a renewable period of five (also known as green visa) or 10 years based on the category and is granted to investors, entrepreneurs, individuals with exceptional talents such as researchers, medical professionals, creatives, those in sciences and exceptional students.
Golden Visa bearers attain 100% ownership of their business on the UAE mainland and can secure visas for dependants in most categories, along with a list of ever-expanding benefits in:
Significant concessions on cars inclusive of priority on new releases, healthcare, property, hospitality, insurance, and banking services such as fixed-interest mortgages and exclusive savings accounts.
Foreign residents in Dubai who have a golden visa from their home country can take a UAE driver’s test without needing extra lessons. Additionally, if the golden visa holders have a licence from one of 32 approved countries, they will automatically be eligible for a UAE driver’s licence.
To qualify for the golden visa, applicants must meet certain criteria, listed below. The residency visa will also extend to the families the holders and will be automatically renewed should the applicant continue to meet the required criteria thereafter.
Categories (10-Year Visa)
- A minimum public investment of AED 10 million
- Individuals who establish or partner with a UAE-based company with a minimum capital of AED 10 million and have a share that exceeds 60% in non-real estate assets
- The investor retains the investment for at least three years after the visa is issued
- The amount invested is not loaned or mortgaged
- Creative individuals in culture and art must be accredited by Ministry of Culture and Youth
Medical professionals must meet at least 2 of the listed conditions:
- A PhD degree from one of the top 500 universities in the world
- An award or certificates of appreciation in the field of the applicant’s work
- Contribution to major scientific research in the respective field of work
- Published articles or scientific books based on their respective field of work
- Membership in an organisation related to the field
- A PhD degree in addition to 10-year professional experience in his field
- Specialisation in areas of priority to the UAE
- An accreditation from the Emirates Scientists Council or a letter from the Secretariat of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Academic Excellence as Recipient of the Medal of Scientific Excellence
- Must have a recommendation from the Ministry of Economy and own a patent to their invention
- Proof of employment at a leading international technological firm
- Graduates of software engineering, computer sciences, hardware engineering, information technology, artificial intelligence, data science, big data, and electrical engineering
- A bachelor's degree (or equivalent)
- Minimum of five years of work experience with a minimum salary of AED 50,000 per month
- Valid employment contract in the UAE
- Recommendation letter from one of the sports councils or from the General Authority for sports
- Must be specialised in one of the rare fields or specialties of priority, determined by the relevant authorities
Specialists in the Fields of Engineering & Science
- Must hold a master’s degree in engineering accredited by the Ministry of Education in either epidemiology, virology, artificial intelligence, big data, engineering related to computer, electrical, software, electronics, genetic or biotechnology
Humanitarian Aid Workers
- Proof of charity and humanitarian aid within the UAE from the International Humanitarian City (IHC)
Categories (Five-Year Visa)
- A five-year residency is granted to those with an existing project with a minimum capital of AED 500,000, or those who have the approval of an accredited business incubator in the UAE.
- High school students who rank top in the country 95%
- Students from listed universities with a GPA of 3.75 or higher upon graduation.
Real Estate Investors
- The value of investment is a minimum of AED two million
- Applicant must be 55 years or older
- Minimum AED one million (fully paid, not mortgaged) of real estate property under the name of the applicant or a minimum deposit one million in any of the local banks for three years
CBD have a dedicated labour & immigration team who can assist you in obtaining a golden visa upon conducting a feasibility study. To check your eligibility and initiate the process, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +971 4 551 0677